Saturday, April 27, 2013

Giving up the balancing act

I was talking to someone the other day who said "it's just so hard to balance everything". While I agree with that statement, it also made me wonder why we try to balance everything everyday in the first place. After all, not everybody can walk a tightrope or we would be part of the circus. When I think back to the days when my daughter was young, I was so overwhelmed. I was concerned that she was not getting all the food groups each day and that she was not eating a balanced diet. Her pediatrician then asked me "don't look at it in terms of each day, but in the course of what she eats per week, is she getting everything she needs". I began to apply that to my own life and stopped putting so much pressure on myself to get it all done and balanced in a day. Being a Libra who is all about the scales and balance, and a planner this wasn't an easy task. But eventually I got to the point where I could let go of the expections and ideals of society. In doing so I realized that the balance is not with the external stuff but within myself. Giving myself permission to be okay if everything didn't get done or go as planned. I am a much calmer less anxious person as a result and I feel like I am able to deal and cope with things in a better way. Life became more grounded and less restricted. Giving up the balancing act was the best choice I could have made. I will be a spectator at the circus, but no need to be a participant. Keep Smiling! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment