Sunday, April 7, 2013

Be in the moment

I work part time at an assisted living facility that has an Alzheimer's wing. One thing that I remember vividly from my training is that folks with Alzheimers and other dementia live in what we refer to as the hippy side of the brain. The other side that normally tells you to not do this or that because of whatever reason no longer exists. As sad as the disease is, the folks who have it live freely without barriers. The best advice I got was to "live in the moment" with them. It isn't up to me to tell them what they are thinking is wrong or to remind them that they asked me twenty times if there was going to be a movie tonight. I am being invited into their world and I am happy to be there. This part-time job has taught me so much. It has taught me patience. It has taught me tolerance. It has taught me forgiveness. To be a kind voice, a helping hand and share a smile and a laugh. The elderly are people just like us who had lives, families and jobs. And through it all, I have been honored and privileged to be part of the end of their journey. Life in all its stages is precious. Keep Smiling! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment